Regarded as one of the best blue lacecap hydrangeas, Hydrangea macrophylla 'Blaumeise' is a vigorous deciduous shrub laden with large flat flowers, up to 9 in. across (22 cm), from early to late summer. The flower heads are composed of huge cobalt blue florets radiating around a central cluster of tiny fertile Persian blue flowers. In alkaline soils, the flower heads turn a pleasant soft pink color. This lacecap hydrangea retains its brilliant color and provides a floral focal point in the summer garden. The profuse blossoms are beautifully framed by the foliage of coarsely toothed, glossy dark green leaves. 'Blaumeise' is an outstanding landscape shrub for lightly shaded gardens. Great for cutting, its flowers can be used in dried flower arrangements.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society for its noteworthy qualities
- This deciduous shrub enjoys a round, bushy habit, typically growing up to 7 ft. tall (210 cm) and 5 ft. wide (150 cm)
- A part shade lover, it is best grown in rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Tolerant of sun if the soil remains moist.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Watch for aphids, capsid bug, hydrangea scale and vine weevil.
- Perfect from foundation plantings to container plantings. Massed in a sheltered location or as an accent plant.
- To change the color of your Hydrangea, add aluminum sulfate to the soil to make the flowers bluer or add lime to the soil to make them pinker. Treatment should occur ahead of time (late fall or early spring)
- This beautiful deciduous shrub should be pruned after flowering by cutting back the stems to a pair of healthy buds. Prune out weak or winter-damaged stems in early spring.