A recent addition to the Endless Summer series, Hydrangea macrophylla 'Bloomstruck' is another exceptional mophead cultivar with medium-sized, rounded flower heads, up to 5 in. across (12 cm), densely packed with intense rose-pink, violet or blue florets, depending on the soil pH. Blooming on both old and new growth, this reblooming hydrangea blooms consistently and provides gorgeous flowers all summer long, as flower buds are produced not only in the fall but also in spring and summer. The flowers are borne on strong, upright, ruby red stems, adding to this plant's striking presence. Equally handsome, the foliage of large, serrated, dark green leaves is adorned with red petioles and red veins. It turns reddish purple in the fall, extending the season of interest of this hydrangea. Exceptionally cold hardy, with good heat tolerance and great disease resistance, especially to powdery mildew, 'Bloomstruck' is perfect as a specimen or in small groupings, anywhere in the landscape that gets morning or filtered sun.
- This deciduous shrub enjoys a round habit, typically growing 3-4 ft. tall (90-120 cm) and 4-5 ft. wide (120-150 cm).
- A part shade lover, it is best grown in rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Full sun is tolerated if constant moisture is provided.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Watch for bud blight, bacterial wilt, leaf spot and mildew.
- Perfect from foundation plantings to container plantings. Massed in a sheltered location or as an accent plant. Effective as an hedge and makes excellent cut flowers too!
- Remove spent flowers to promote new blooms.
- To change the color of your Hydrangea, add aluminum sulfate to the soil to make the flowers bluer or add lime to the soil to make them pinker. Treatment should occur ahead of time (late fall or early spring)
- This beautiful deciduous shrub should be pruned after flowering by cutting back the stems to a pair of healthy buds. Prune out weak or winter-damaged stems in early spring.