Hydrangea macrophylla 'Charm' is a showy mophead hydrangea with medium-sized, rounded flower heads, up to 6 in. across (15 cm), densely packed with deep rosy-pink florets from early to late summer. The flower color varies depending on soil pH. Rosy-pink is alkaline soils, the flowers turn rich blue in acidic soils. Equally handsome, the foliage of dark green, large, glossy, serrated leaves warms up to orange and red shades in the fall, extending the season of interest of this hydrangea. 'Charm' is perfect as a specimen or in small groupings, anywhere in the landscape that gets morning or filtered sun.
- This deciduous shrub enjoys a round habit, typically growing 4-5 ft. tall and wide (120-150 cm).
- A part shade lover, it is best grown in rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Full sun is tolerated if constant moisture is provided.
- No serious pest or disease issues. Watch for bud blight, bacterial wilt, leaf spot and mildew.
- Perfect from foundation plantings to container plantings. Massed in a sheltered location or as an accent plant. Effective as an hedge and makes excellent cut flowers too!
- Remove spent flowers to promote new blooms.
- To change the color of your Hydrangea, add aluminum sulfate to the soil to make the flowers bluer or add lime to the soil to make them pinker. Treatment should occur ahead of time (late fall or early spring)
- This beautiful deciduous shrub should be pruned after flowering by cutting back the stems to a pair of healthy buds. Prune out weak or winter-damaged stems in early spring.