Noted for its elegant, rosy-red feathery flowers, Pennisetum thunbergii 'Red Buttons' (Fountain Grass) is a graceful, deciduous grass that forms a compact, upright clump of narrow grassy leaves. In late summer, showy, elongated, red flower plumes are produced at the tips of long graceful stems. They rise high above the foliage, arching upward or outward, and gradually fade to buff as they mature. Long-lived, they can be admired over a long season and can be used in fresh or dry arrangements. The handsome, bright green foliage turns to a warm golden-tan color in fall and generally remains attractive well into the winter. An excellent addition to mixed borders, Pennisetum thunbergii provides late summer and fall interest.
- Typically grows up to 3 ft.tall and wide (90 cm). Plants can self sow and can be somewhat invasive.
- Performs best in full sun, in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Tolerates part shade, but flowering will not be as colorful. Heat and drought tolerant.
- Welcomed in any garden style, this Fountain Grass is versatile and can be used as a specimen plant, in groups or en masse. It is ideal in borders where it provides texture, color and contrast. Excellent choice for containers, small gardens. Flowers are excellent for cutting, fresh or dried arrangements.
- Cut back old foliage to the ground in late winter.
- Native to Africa, Yemen, Sri Lanka and Australia.