A dwarf and compact garden phlox, Phlox paniculata 'Candy Twist' is an herbaceous perennial with striking clusters of lavender-pink flowers adorned with contrasting white stripes like the spokes of a wheel. Blooming for weeks from mid to late summer, the fragrant flowers are rich of nectar and visited by hummingbirds and butterflies. They are borne atop relatively short, bushy clumps of medium green foliage. Reputed to have good resistance to powdery mildew, this garden phlox selection is perfectly suited for containers and the front of the border. Great for small gardens!
- Grows up to 18-24 in. tall and wide (30-45 cm).
- Prefers full sun to very light shade and enjoys moderately fertile, medium moisture, well-drained soils. This plant needs good air circulation! Avoid overhead watering and add summer mulch to keep the root area cool.
- This variety of Garden Phlox is remarkably mildew resistant, allowing us to fully enjoy our garden rather than worry.
- Excellent choice for the perennial borders where the dazzling flowers are welcomed in any color scheme. May be planted as a single specimen or in groupings.
- Deadhead to preserve a neat appearance and promote new blooms. Cut back stems after flowering is over.
- Propagate by division in spring or autumn
Phlox paniculata is a garden classic that is considered by many as the backbone of summer borders. The striking billowing masses of large, fragrant clusters of white, lavender, pink, rose, red and bi-color, blossoms enliven native landscapes and grace gardens for weeks. Despite its well-known susceptibility to powdery mildew, Garden Phlox remains a perennial favorite prized for their dramatic, long blooming floral show.