Phlox subulata 'Blue Emerald' (Creeping Phlox) is a popular evergreen perennial with masses of delicate lavender-blue flowers which blanket the dark green, needle-like foliage in mid to late spring. Vigorous, it forms a pretty flower carpet and adds a splash of color for about 3-4 weeks. Perfect for rocky areas, slopes and flower borders.
- Mat-forming, Phlox subulata grows only 4-6 in. tall (10-15 cm) but spreads vigorously up to 12-18 in. wide (30-45 cm) in a beautiful flower carpet resembling moss, hence the common name of moss phlox.
- Prefers full sun (tolerates dappled shade) and enjoys humusy, medium moisture, well-drained soils. It thrives in sandy or gravelly soils and is drought tolerant once established. Good drainage required!
- Excellent choice for rock gardens, slopes, edgings or ground covers. Perfectly suited to border fronts and lovely when slightly draping a rock wall. A great companion for tulips and daffodils... and butterflies too!
- Hardy, Phlox subulata is trouble-free, deer resistant, salt tolerant and requires little care.
- Shear after flowering to maintain a neat form and promote new foliage, with the resultant increase in blooms next spring. This plant will multiply in optimum growing conditions.