Noted for its shade and poor soils tolerance, Rosa 'Zephirine Drouhin' is a vigorous climbing Bourbon rose with masses of highly fragrant, semi-double, carmine flowers, 3 in. across (8 cm), counting up to 30 petals. Born on thornless, purplish stems, the blooms are produced in great quantities and almost continuously from late spring to frost. This Rose is such an excellent repeat bloomer that it is worthy of applause. The flowers are perfectly displayed against the semi-glossy rich green foliage, which emerges bright copper-red. Popular ever since its introduction in 1868, this free-flowering heirloom rose is regarded as one of the best and most reliable climbing roses.
- Grows up to 4-12 ft. tall (120-360 cm) and spreads up to 3-6 ft. (90-180 cm). This Bourbon rose may be grown as a shrub rose (6 ft.) or a large-flowered climbing rose (12 ft.).
- Best grown in full sun to part shade, in moist, moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soils. While shade tolerant, best flower production and disease resistance usually occur in full sun
- An excellent choice for beds and borders, as flowering hedge. Ideal as a free-blooming climber for arbors, fences and other garden structures. Excellent for covering a north-facing wall. Being thornless, this rose is perfect for heavy-traffic areas. Plant it where you will be able to enjoy its perfume daily: near a doorway, along a path, near your patio or deck.
- Remove spent flowers to encourage rebloom. Prune as needed in late winter to early spring.
- Propagate by hardwood cuttings in autumn or by chip budding in summer