Noted for its extremely long blooming season, award-winning Salvia 'Amistad' (Sage) is a bushy, upright perennial with large, rich royal purple flowers adorned with nearly black calyces. Blooming constantly from early summer until frost, the flowers are a magnet for butterflies and hummingbirds. They rise well above the aromatic foliage of glossy, bright green, slender leaves, which remain evergreen in frost free locations.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society.
- This tender perennial is winter hardy to zones 8-10, therefore it is grown as an annual in cooler zones.
- Grows up to 3-5 ft. tall (90-150 cm) and 4-6 ft. wide (120-180 cm).
- Performs best in full sun, in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Tolerates afternoon shade in hot climates. Needs a sheltered position. Drought tolerant
- An ideal addition to beds, borders or containers.
- Fairly disease-free and low maintenance. Watch for slugs, snails, rosemary beetles. Deer resistant.
- Remove flower spikes as they fade to prolong flowering.
- Propagate by softwood cuttings in spring or early summer and semi-ripe cuttings in late summer or autumn