The ultimate in romantic tulips! Award-winning Tulip 'Wirosa' is a peony-flowered tulip belonging to the Double Late Group - a group whose flowers are large, double and can easily reach a span of 4 inches across (10 cm). 'Wirosa' displays purplish-red petals edged with creamy-white atop a grayish foliage in the late spring garden.
- Growing up to 16 inches tall (40 cm), this tulip creates dazzling harmonies with other flowering bulbs.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Since the flowers can be damaged in extreme weather conditions (rain and wind), it is advisable to plant them in a sheltered location.
- Performs best in full sun in rich, fertile, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Prefers areas with cool winters and warm dry summers.
- Easy to grow, this tulip is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, containers. For best visual impact, plant in groups (at least 10 to 15 bulbs) or mixed with any other flowering bulbs. Excellent as cut flowers!
- To be planted in fall.
- Eating may cause severe discomfort and may cause a skin allergy.
A symbol of spring, tulips are the most popular spring bulbs and most gardeners reserve them a spot in the garden or in containers. Grown for their attractive, vibrantly colored flowers, there are currently over 3,000 registered varieties, which are divided into fifteen groups, mostly based on the flower type, size and blooming period of the tulip.
Because of their shape, Double Late Tulips are also known as peony-flowered tulips. The flowers, which are always large and double, can easily reach a span of 4 in. across (10 cm). Since the flowers can be damaged in extreme weather conditions (rain and wind), it is advisable to plant them in a sheltered location. Growing up to 12-16 in. tall (30-40 cm) in late spring, Double Late tulips perform exceptionally well in regions having cold winters and late springs. Certain cultivars are suitable for forcing indoors.