Noted for its vigor, heat, drought and mildew tolerance, Verbena 'Superbena Burgundy' is a trailing Verbena with masses of large clusters of rich burgundy-red flowers over a long season. Blooming continuously from summer to frost, the blossoms are so profuse that they literally smother the foliage of oval, toothed, mint-like leaves, creating an endless floral carpet. Perfect for the front of the border or as spillers in combination planters, this Verbena is also a great choice as colorful groundcover. Attractive to butterflies, the flowers are ignored by hungry deer. A top performer in annual trials.
- Grows up to 6-12 in. tall (15-30 cm) and vigorously spreading up to 18-30 in. wide (45-75 cm).
- This verbena is a tender perennial that is hardy to zone 8 but may be grown as an annual in cooler climates.
- Thrives in full sun or part shade, in average, well-drained soils. Tolerates dry soils and lower fertility. Normally either an application of slow release fertilizer or amending with compost is enough to keep the plant happy.
- Perfectly suited for use as ground covers, edging plants, containers and hanging baskets, from which their flower-laden stems cascade spectacularly.
- No deadheading required. While naturally well branched, trimming them back will encourage additional branching, fuller plants, and ultimately more flowers.