Verbena rigida f. lilacina 'Polaris' (Slender Vervain) is a compact, low-growing perennial with attractive, three-branched candelabras of small pale lilac flowers over a long blooming season. Shining from early summer through to the first frosts, the luminous blossoms rise above dense clumps of rigid, lanceolate, dark green leaves. A front-of-the-border performer, this delicate looking Verbena is however tough and easy-to-grow.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society in 1993 and 2001.
- Grows up to 18-24 in. tall (45-60 cm) and 12-18 in. wide (30-45 cm).
- Performs best in full sun or light shade in average, moist, well-drained soils. Protect with a dry winter mulch in frost-prone areas. Drought tolerant once established.
- Attractive to pollinating insects.
- Perfect at the front of the border where it can be admired or along a path. Welcomed in informal prairie schemes or as an effective ground cover.
- Propagate by seed or stem tip cuttings in late summer
- Native of Brazil and Argentina