Late Summer - Inspiring Garden Ideas for All Gardeners
Late summer is an amazing season in the garden, brimming with a rich tapestry of colors and textures. Here are some garden ideas that will keep your garden vibrant and inspiring:
- Add Late-Summer Blooming Plants: Fill in gaps with late-summer blooming plants like black-eyed Susans, cosmos, and echinacea. These plants bring beautiful colors and attract beneficial pollinators.
- Extend Interest with Grasses: Ornamental grasses like fountain grass or switchgrass add texture, movement, and their seed heads offer late-season interest.
- Feature Foliage: Consider adding plants with striking foliage. Coleus, elephant ears, and hostas provide bold color and texture without relying on blooms.
- Create a Succulent Garden: Succulents thrive in hot conditions and require little water, making them perfect for late summer. Mix different shapes, sizes, and colors for an eye-catching display.
- Install a Water Feature: A small pond or fountain can provide a cooling effect in the heat of late summer and can be a focal point.
- Add a Fire Pit or Seating Area: As the nights start to draw in, a fire pit can provide warmth, light, and a cozy gathering space.
- Light up the Night: Install outdoor lights to enjoy your garden during the cooler evenings. Fairy lights, lanterns, or solar-powered path lights can create a magical ambiance.
Remember, the key to an inspiring late-summer garden is to embrace the season, continue to care for your garden, and keep adding elements that spark joy and serenity.