For a dramatic statement in the garden, Chinese Astilbe 'Superba' (Astilbe chinensis var. taquettii) is one of the tallest varieties of Astilbes with stunning, purple-rose, lance shaped flower plumes. Quite showy, they rise gracefully in late summer to early fall, on strong, erect flowering stems above an attractive mound of fern-like foliage which emerges mahogany-red before changing to dark green. Long-lasting, they turn a rich caramel color which provides winter interest to the garden.
- Relatively trouble-free, this Astilbe requires little maintenance, is heavy shade tolerant, attracts butterflies, but is deer and rabbit resistant! The perfect perennial for a shady border with dappled light!
- Highly popular, this lovely Chinese Astilbe won the Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Slowly spreading by rhizomes, this Astilbe grows vigorously up to 24 in. tall (60 cm), extending to 4-5 ft. high with the flowers (120-150 cm) and spreads 24 in. (60 cm). The refined, fern-like foliage remains attractive all season long (under satisfactory growing conditions).
- Part shade to full shade lover, this Astilbe thrives in organically rich, evenly moist, well drained soils. Don't let the soil dry out! Mulch should be added to reduce water evaporation and maintain moisture.
- May be planted in full sun in areas with cool summers with adequate moisture. In hot summer areas, shade is important.
- Provides a spectacular flower show, whether planted in perennial borders, woodlands, by streams, ponds or in containers. Plant in groups for better visual effect. Excellent ground cover or edging plant for shady areas.
- Plumes make excellent fresh cuts or for drying in natural bouquets
- No deadheading is required unless you do not like the look of the faded flower stalks. If allowed to remain, the dried seedheads will provide additional interest later in the season. Should be divided about every 4 years to assure the maximum number of blooms.