Clump-forming, Hosta crispula is a handsome shade-loving perennial that is widely cultivated as an ornamental plant in borders or as a specimen plant. Easy to grow, it forms attractive, dense mounds of showy, ovate, dark green leaves, wavy-margined, and with creamy markings cheerfully bringing color to shady areas! Funnel-shaped, pale lavender flowers, rising on erect leafy stems well above the foliage appear in early summer, but the primary contribution of this Hosta is its lovely foliage. Excellent as groundcover for moist, shady areas!
- Grows up to 2-3 ft. tall (60-90 cm) and spreads 18-24 in. (45-60 cm).
- Part shade to full shade lover, it is best grown in fertile, moist, well-drained soils. This plant prefers slightly acid or neutral soils. Partial shade is best but this Hosta can tolerate some sun if the soil is kept moist. Protect it from cold, dry winds,
- Perfect for shade gardens, mixed with other perennials, as groundcover, edging, underplanting shrubs or in containers.
- Watch for slugs and snails which could damage the attractive foliage.
- Cut off the stems after blooming to encourage the plant's growth. Discolored leaves should be trimmed back to the ground.