Noted for the spectacular display provided by its vivid flowers, Big Betony 'Superba' (Stachys macrantha) is a wonderful perennial featuring 2-3 whorls of vibrant, violet-purple, two-lipped flower spikes held above handsome mounds of soft, wrinkled, dark green leaves with scalloped edges. They bloom for a few weeks from late spring to mid summer and always create an incredible show when massed!
- Aside from the interest provided by its lovely blossoms, Big Betony is easy to grow, naturalizes well, is pest and disease free, deer or rabbit resistant and requires low maintenance. Its eye-catching flowers are attractive to pollinating insects.
- Its noteworthy qualities have earned it the Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Thriving in full sun or light shade (in hot and humid areas), in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils, this plant generally grows in a compact mound up to 18-24 in. tall and wide (45-60 cm).
- Hardy, this deciduous herbaceous perennial comes back reliably year after year. Drought tolerant once established. However, it is short-lived in the South and suffers in severe heat and humidity.
- Wonderful for edging, borders, informal naturalized spots, near streams and ponds or cottage gardens. Big Betony also makes a fabulous groundcover for large, open, sunny garden areas. Valuable as a cut flower too! Plant in groups of 3 or more, for better visual impact. Combine Big Betony with Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla Mollis), roses or daisies