Walls and Fences - The Best Plants to Grow in your Garden
Planting against walls and fences is a fantastic way to use vertical space and create different interest levels in your garden. Here are some of the best plants to grow in these areas:
- Climbing Roses: Climbing roses offer a traditional and romantic appeal. They come in a variety of colors, bloom prolifically throughout the season, and have a delightful fragrance.
- Clematis: This climber offers large, vibrant blooms in a range of colors. There are many varieties of clematis that bloom at different times, so you can have a succession of flowers from spring through to fall.
- Jasmine: Known for its intoxicating fragrance, jasmine produces a profusion of star-shaped flowers. It’s perfect for walls and fences near patios or windows where you can enjoy its scent.
- Wisteria: Wisteria is a vigorous climber with cascading clusters of fragrant, lilac-blue flowers. Its strong branches also provide sturdy support for other climbing plants.
- Ivy: For shaded walls and fences, consider varieties of ivy. They’re evergreen, hardy, and can cover large areas with a lush, green appearance.
- Passion Flower: This unique, tropical-looking climber offers complex, exotic flowers and interesting fruit. It’s also a favorite with butterflies.
- Honeysuckle: Offering a beautiful display of tubular flowers, honeysuckle attracts hummingbirds and fills the air with a sweet scent, especially in the evening.
Remember, climbers need support to help them grow upwards. Consider using trellises, wires, or a lattice against your wall or fence. These plants can help you transform a bare wall or fence into a tapestry of color and fragrance.