Small Gardens - The Best Plants to Grow in your Garden
When it comes to small gardens, choosing the right plants is essential to maximizing your space and creating a visually pleasing area. Here are some of the best plants for your small garden:
- Boxwood (Buxus): These shrubs are perfect for small spaces because they can be pruned into various shapes and sizes. They’re excellent for borders or hedges.
- Hydrangeas: These shrubs produce large, stunning blooms during summer. Many varieties stay compact, making them suitable for smaller spaces.
- Lavender: This fragrant herb is not only beautiful with its purple flowers and green foliage but is also very versatile and drought-resistant.
- Dwarf or Miniature Fruit Trees: These trees are grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock to keep them smaller. Try apple, pear, or cherry. Not only are they productive, but they can also be an attractive addition.
- Clematis: This climbing plant is great for vertical growth in small spaces. It produces beautiful, vibrant flowers.
- Hostas: These leafy plants are perfect for filling in the understorey of your small garden, especially in shady spots.
- Ornamental Grasses: Compact varieties like Little Bluestem or Fountain Grass provide year-round interest and are very low maintenance.
- Succulents: Perfect for container gardens or low-water landscapes, succulents come in a wide variety of shapes, colors, and sizes.
Remember, vertical gardening can maximize your space: consider climbing plants, wall-mounted planters, or tiered plant stands. Also, choose plants that offer more than one season of interest, whether it’s flowers, berries, or colorful autumn leaves.