A true miniature Gardenia, Gardenia jasminoides 'Radicans' (Cape Jasmine) is a small, prostrate or spreading, evergreen shrub with lustrous, lance-shaped, dark green leaves and strongly fragrant, petite double white flowers, 1 in. across (2.5 cm). Blooming profusely in late spring to early summer, this dwarf shrub enjoys an open, horizontal branching that makes it ideal for containers, low borders or as groundcovers. Heat and drought tolerant.
- This evergreen shrub enjoys a bushy habit and grows up to 6-12 in. tall (15-30 cm) and 2-3 ft. wide (60-90 cm)
- A full sun to light shade lover, this Gardenia is best grown in consistently moist, acidic, organically rich, well-drained soils. Although it prefers full sun, some shade is appreciated during the warmer months of the year or its leaves may scorch and its buds may fall off if they get too much sunlight. In hot climates, Gardenias grow best with morning sun and afternoon shade. In cooler areas, they can tolerate full sun, especially if their roots are covered with organic mulch.
- Perfect for beds and borders, as a groundcover or in containers.
- May be affected by powdery mildew, leaf spots, dieback, anthracnose, sooty mold, whiteflies, mealybugs, scales, aphids and spider mites.
- Cut off the faded Gardenia flowers, just below the leaf node, to encourage continuous blooming.
- Prune/shape your Gardenia plant when it is dormant, to promote branching and compact growth
- Propagate by seed, greenwood or semi-hardwood cuttings
- Native to southern China and Japan