Gardenia jasminoides 'Belmont' (Cape Jasmine) is a large evergreen shrub with exceptionally large, glossy, dark green leaves and wonderfully scented, roselike, semi-double, ivory-white flowers, 4 in. across (10 cm). Blooming heavily from late spring through early summer, with sporadic flowering into fall, this Gardenia makes a splendid accent shrub or flowering hedge. One of the best varieties for growing indoors.
- This evergreen shrub enjoys a bushy habit and grows up to 5-8 ft. tall (150-240 cm) and 3-6 ft. wide (90-180 cm)
- A full sun to light shade lover, this Gardenia is best grown in consistently moist, acidic, organically rich, well-drained soils. Although it prefers full sun, some shade is appreciated during the warmer months of the year or its leaves may scorch and its buds may fall off if they get too much sunlight. In hot climates, Gardenias grow best with morning sun and afternoon shade. In cooler areas, they can tolerate full sun, especially if their roots are covered with organic mulch.
- Perfect as a specimen plant and useful as hedges. Great cut flowers.
- May be affected by powdery mildew, leaf spots, dieback, anthracnose, sooty mold, whiteflies, mealybugs, scales, aphids and spider mites.
- Cut off the faded Gardenia flowers, just below the leaf node, to encourage continuous blooming.
- Prune/shape your Gardenia plant when it is dormant, to promote branching and compact growth
- Propagate by seed, greenwood or semi-hardwood cuttings
- Native to southern China and Japan