Gazania 'Big Kiss Yellow Flame' (Treasure Flower) is a tender evergreen perennial boasting extra large golden-yellow flowers, 5 in. across (12 cm), adorned with a dark rose-red stripe down each ray floret and a golden disk. The brilliant blossoms close at night and in cloudy weather. Blooming profusely in late spring and early summer, they flower intermittently through the rest of the year in mild winter areas. They are held high above the bushy foliage mat of bright green leaves adorned with silvery undersides. Native to South Africa, Gazanias are ridiculously easy to grow, tolerate drought, heat, seacoast conditions, and grow well in most soils. Prized by gardeners for their dazzling colors, Gazanias are ideal plants to add drama to sun-baked sites with dry soil, where other plants would shrivel.
- Grows up to 8-10 in. tall and wide (20-30 cm).
- Thrives in full sun and prefers sandy, well-drained soils. However, this plant is not fussy about soils and will tolerate loam and poor soils. Gazanias perform best in hot weather and do not require as much water as other annuals or perennials. Allow the soil to dry out between waterings to avoid root rots or fungal infections.
- Gazanias are versatile landscape plants and can be used as edging along sunny paths, or to add color to rock gardens, Mediterranean or xeriscape gardens. They could act as pretty fillers between young shrubs. Spectacular when massed on banks and slopes where they will help control soil erosion. Their sparkling blooms make them terrific additions to containers.
- Gazanias are virtually disease and pest free, when grown in adequate conditions. Keep an eye out for aphids if overwintered indoors
- Gazanias are perennial plants in hardiness zones 8-10 and grown as annuals in cooler areas.
- Deadhead spent flowers to encourage flowering.
- Propagate by seed or by softwood cuttings taken from the base of shoots in late summer and kept in frost-free conditions over winter.