Geum 'Mai Tai' is a clump-forming, herbaceous perennial with single to semi double, vermilion flowers, 1 in. across (3 cm), with ruffled petals fading to peach and then pink. Blooming for 3 weeks from late spring to early summer, each plant may produce up to 135 flowers. The blooms give way to attractive, fluffy seed heads. Borne on sparsely leafed burgundy stems, they rise well above the fresh and lush foliage of lobed basal leaves. Vigorous and disease resistant, Mai Tai belongs to the Cocktail Series.
- Grows up to 14 in. tall and wide (35 cm).
- Enjoys full sun to part shade in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Moist, fertile soils are preferred. Needs afternoon shade in hot, humid climates.
- Excellent in perennial borders, butterfly gardens, rock gardens or cottage gardens. Well suited to containers too! Very useful and adaptable in the garden, it is easy to grow.
- Deer and rabbit resistant, it is a real magnet for butterflies, hummingbirds and bees!
- No serious pest or disease problems. May occasionally be attacked by sawfly larvae
- Remove spent flower stems to promote further blooms and cut back after flowering is over.
- Propagate by seed in pots in a cold frame in winter or propagate by division in spring or fall