One of the most striking New Zealand Hairy Sedge, Carex comans 'Frosted Curls' is a very distinctive ornamental grass with pale silvery green grasslike leaves that curl gracefully towards the ground, delicately softening any landscape. Valuable for its year-round appeal, this highly decorative grass is one of the most beautiful ornamental grasses for the garden, where it provides a lovely contrast with other plants, mulch or gravel.
- Forming attractive mounds of evergreen, slender, hairlike, iridescent foliage that shimmers in slight breezes, it mixes beautifully with almost any flowering bulb or perennial plants to create spectacular and elegantly mobile combinations.
- This is a graceful accent plant for beds, borders, near ponds or streams where its foliage can be reflected for double the pleasure. Does well in containers too where it adds wonderful character and texture to your plant combinations.
- Growing easily in a dense fountain-like clump about 18 in. tall (45 cm) and across, it enjoys full sun, tolerates part shade and thrives in moist, well-drained soils.
- Drought tolerant, it requires very little care and provides almost all year around interest with its gray-green leaves turning silver white as they mature.
- This ornamental grass is relatively short-lived (3 to 5 years) although it may be rejuvenated through division. It will also re-seed under satisfactory conditions, which will allow for the replacement of older plants.
Native to New Zealand, Carex Comans, commonly known as Hairy Sedge, are ornamental grasses featuring clumps of fine-textured foliage, usually pale silvery green which spills over walls or rocks in a very attractive fashion. Extremely decorative, these perennial grasses are more appreciated for their foliage than for their insignificant flowers.