This yellow crocus is perfect for planting in lawns since its color contrasts so beautifully against a green background. Crocus x luteus 'Golden Yellow' is a vigorous, clump-forming crocus bearing large, bright golden flowers slightly dark striped at the base.
- Blooming occurs in early spring. The calyx-shaped flowers open only when the sun shines or when there is a lot of light; they close up in rainy weather and at night. Did you know that crocus bulbs remaining in the ground will always bloom a bit earlier than the ones planted the previous year?
- Growing up to 4-6 inches tall (10-15 cm), this beauty naturalizes easily and will come back year after year!
- Awarded the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun or light shade.
- Stunning in beds, lawns, under trees, rock gardens, in front of shrubs, along walkways. Spectacular in large sweeping drifts. For optimal effect, 100 to 150 corms should be planted. If used in lawns, however, the grass may not be mowed until six weeks after the crocuses have bloomed. If mowed earlier than this, the newly forming cormlets (developing on top of the mother corm) will not become large enough to flower next year. Great for forcing!
- To be planted in fall.