Perhaps almost as useful as Narcissus are snowflakes. Leucojum aestivum, although called 'Summer Snowflake', flowers in mid - late spring and then goes dormant during summer. It features 4 to 8 white, nodding, bell-shaped flowers with green-tipped tepals, dangling from each long, fairly sturdy flower stem. The ensemble is nicely complemented by clumps of dark grassy green leaves. As an added bonus, the flowers are softly chocolate-scented!
- Rising up to 14 - 18 inches tall (35 - 45 cm), this white beauty is an easy grower, naturalizes well and will multiply over time. It tolerates boggy spots and will do well on the edges of natural ponds.
- Easily grown in organically rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade.
- Lovely in beds, borders, rock gardens, under shrubs or massed under trees. Spectacular in large sweeping drifts.
- Mixes beautifully with other spring flowering bulbs. Plant in groups of 15 bulbs (at least) to achieve a nice effect.
- Deer and rabbit resistant
- 'Gravetye Giant' has large flowers on stems that easily reach a length of 20 - 24 inches (50 - 60 cm). A better variety than its parent!