Requiring very little care and providing striking color as well as graceful movement in the garden or patio, Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' (Purple Fountain Grass) has become a real favorite among gardeners. How not to resist the spectacular rich burgundy foliage, the exceptionally long arching crimson plumes or the outstanding contrast provided with the surrounding plants and flowers?
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Fast grower, Purple Fountain Grass typically grows in 3-5 ft. tall (90-150 cm) and 2-4 ft. wide (60-120 cm) rounded mounds. They are topped with soft and fluffy, red-burgundy flower plumes on arching stems from mid summer until frost. Quite long - over 1 ft. (30 cm), the purplish flower spikes are succeeded by burgundy or purplish-tinged seed heads.
- Welcomed in any garden style, Purple Fountain Grass is a focal point wherever it is planted. It is versatile and can be used as a specimen plant, provides a dramatic effect in groups or en masse. It is ideal in borders where it provides texture, color and contrast and looks impressive in containers. Efficient for softening driveways or courtyards too!
- Drought tolerant, it performs best in full sun in light, moderately fertile, well-drained soils and provides weeks of interest. Ignored by deer!
- Tender, it is mostly grown as an annual in cool climate areas. Rarely sets seeds.
- Propagate by division.