Bred for hot, sunny environments, Helichrysum petiolare (Licorice Plant) will blow you away with its amazingly soft, densely-felted foliage which brings interest to the border as well as a slight licorice fragrance! This evergreen shrub boasts trailing stems, densely clad with round, plush, velvety silver leaves. Blooms consist of tiny white flowers that are insignificant. It can form a lovely groundcover, spill over a wall or the edge of containers, intermingle with other plants or be pruned into a dense rounded thicket.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society (1993)
- Grows up to 1-2 feet tall (30-60 cm) and spreads as much as 3-4 feet across (90-120 cm).
- Mostly grown for its exceptionally beautiful foliage, this evergreen shrub is drought tolerant and requires low maintenance and low watering. Deer resistant
- Thrives in full sun, in average, dry to medium, well-drained soils. Poor soils are tolerated but excellent drainage is required to grow successfully this plant.
- Fabulous for hanging baskets, containers, edging or softening hard corners, underplanting roses or shrubs or mixed with other perennials in beds and borders. Perfect for rock gardens too!
- Pinch and snip off wayward stems as needed. Propagate by semi-hardwood cuttings