Informal and Cottage Garden - The Best Plants to Grow in Your Garden
Cottage and informal gardens have a charming, old-world feel and require plants that bloom abundantly and create a sense of abundance. Here are some of the best plants to grow in your cottage garden:
- Roses: A staple in any cottage garden, roses add romance and fragrance. English roses, with their lush petals and strong scent, are particularly suited to the cottage garden style.
- Lavender: Lavender is a wonderful choice due to its resilience and beautiful purple flowers that bring color and a soothing fragrance to your garden.
- Delphiniums: These tall perennials add height to your garden with their towering spikes of blue, purple, pink, or white flowers.
- Foxgloves: Another tall perennial, foxgloves are loved for their bell-shaped flowers which add charm and attract pollinators.
- Peonies: These plants offer stunning, large blooms in late spring to early summer. They add a spectacular burst of color and are incredibly long-lived.
- Campanula: Also known as Bellflower, it produces masses of bell-shaped flowers and is ideal for filling gaps in the garden.
- Clematis: This climbing plant is perfect for decorating walls and pergolas. Its large, vibrant flowers are eye-catching.
- Hollyhocks: These biennials are cottage garden classics, offering impressive height and lovely flowers.
- Geraniums: Hardy geraniums are perfect ground cover and produce beautifully hued blooms.
- Asters: These late-summer bloomers bring color to the garden when many other plants are starting to fade.
These plants work harmoniously together to create an inviting, informal garden full of color and charm.