Noted for its stable variegated foliage, award-winning Abelia x grandiflora 'Hopleys' is a compact, semi-evergreen shrub with a luminous foliage of bright green leaves adorned with buttery yellow edges in spring, gradually fading to ivory-white. The glossy oval leaves are highly decorative and turn pink in the fall. In midsummer, abundant clusters of lightly-scented, lilac-tinged white flowers adorn the bush until fall. Their attractive creamy-white calyces further brighten the overall display.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Grows up to 4-5 ft. tall and wide (120-150 cm).
- A full sun or part shade lover, this plant is easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Best flower production in full sun. Provide a sheltered location to help prevent hard freeze damage.
- Perfect as a specimen plant or in small groupings, as an informal hedge or in containers.
- Low maintenance, this plant is generally pest and disease free. Deer resistant.
- Blooms on new wood, so prune as needed in late winter to early spring. May need hard pruning every 3 to 4 years.
- Propagate by softwood cuttings in early summer or semi-hardwood cuttings in late summer