Helleborus 'Ivory Prince' or 'Walhelivor' (Christmas Rose) is the pretty result of a breeding program designed to produce vigorous, compact and upright hellebores with flat flowers for best display. Opening from rich burgundy-pink flower buds, plentiful creamy white flowers, 2-3 in. wide (5-7 cm), appear from late winter to early spring. Unlike most hellebores, the flowers face outward attracting interest. As they mature, they take on charming rose and chartreuse shades. These dainty beauties rise on sturdy, reddish stems above a particularly handsome foliage of leathery, deeply lobed, evergreen leaves with silver veining. Showy and long-lasting, ideal to brighten the shade garden!
- Grows in a bushy, upright clump, up to 12-18 in. tall (30-45 cm) and 18-24 in. across (45-60 cm). This perennial will self-seed in satisfactory growing conditions.
- Performs best in part shade to full shade, in rich, humusy, moist, alkaline, well-drained soils. Hellebores are very tolerant and will grow well in most soils as long as the ground is not extremely dry or stagnantly waterlogged. Select a sheltered site to protect them from cold winter winds. Deer resistant!
- Easy to grow, this plant is a welcomed addition to shady borders, containers, under trees or large shrubs, woodland gardens or naturalized areas. Plant in groups for best visual impact. Lovely groundcover when massed
- Virtually disease and pest free but watch for slugs and aphids.
- Remove faded flowers stems (unless you require seed) to promote new growth and for a neat appearance.
- Ingestion may cause severe discomfort; skin irritant.