Striking all summer long, Actaea simplex 'Pink Spike' (Baneberry) is a beautiful perennial with chocolate-purple, finely divided foliage, enhanced by gracefully arching wands of fragrant pink flowers in late summer and fall. Raspberry-pink in bud, opening to pale pink, the heavily scented flowers are packed in fluffy spikes along black waving stems. 'Pink Spike' provides interest for months and makes a wonderful backdrop for your favorite plants.
- Typically grows up to 3-5 ft. tall (90-150 cm) and 1-2 ft. wide (30-60 cm). Plants will take about 3 years to develop into a mature clump.
- Thrives in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in part shade to full shade. Moist, moderately fertile soil, enriched with organic matter is preferred. Don't let the soil dry out or the foliage will suffer. Provide a sheltered location from strong winds. The flower spires tend to bend toward bright light when grown in substantial shade.
- Trouble-free and easy care, Baneberry is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, woodlands, cottage gardens, naturalized areas.
- Attracts birds and butterflies and deer ignore it!
- Cut back after flowering or fruiting. Propagate by seed sown in pots in a cold frame in fall or by division in early spring