Appreciated for their stature, ease of cultivation and attractive flowers, Eupatorium maculatum, commonly known as Joe Pye Weed, are strong growing perennials that provide a wonderful garden presence. Native to North America, they are noted for their erect, purple-stained stems (therefore "maculata") that are branched with flat-topped, 4-5 in. (10-12 cm) clusters of eye-catching rose-purple to mauve flowers. Often fragrant, their blossoms are attractive to bees and butterflies in search of nectar.
- Hardy, Eupatorium maculatum blooms profusely from midsummer to fall and remains extremely attractive throughout winter thanks to its ornamental seed heads that persist and provide food for the birds. They are particularly striking when covered in hoar frost or snow.
- This upright perennial elegantly rises up to 5- 8 ft. (150-240 cm) and spreads 4-5 ft. wide (120-150 cm).
- Combines beautifully in striking color combinations with other perennial plants such as Asters, Helianthus or ornamental grasses. Very useful and adaptable in the garden, this is an excellent choice as an accent plant, or for borders, cottage gardens, meadows, wild gardens, rain gardens. Good as cut flowers too!
- Low maintenance and trouble-free, Joe Pye Weed performs best in full sun to part shade. It thrives in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Fertile, moist soils are preferred.
- Deer, rabbit, clay and wet soil tolerant.
- Spreads quickly, but is not invasive. Seeds freely but not too prolifically. Cut to the ground in late winter.
Main Eupatorium maculatum varieties:
- Eupatorium maculatum 'Gateway' - a popular cultivar with large flower heads - up to 8 in. wide (20 cm). Purple-pink blossoms atop dark green, lance-shaped foliage. May reach up to 6 ft. (180 cm)
- Eupatorium maculatum 'Glutball' - magnificent with large flower heads - up to 8 in. wide (20 cm). Purple-pink blossoms atop dark green, lance-shaped foliage. May reach up to 6 ft. (180 cm)
- Eupatorium maculatum 'Orchard Dene' - Upright, imposing with mid green lanceolate and serrate leaves, foliage, dusty pink flower heads with contrasting green stems with dark purplish-red dashes. Up to 8 ft. tall (240 cm) and 5 ft. wide (150 cm). AGM award (2006).
- Eupatorium maculatum 'Purple Bush' - Upright, bushy, compact with dark green lanceolate leaves, dusty pink flower heads and lovely green stems with dark purplish-red dashes. Up to 7 ft. tall (210 cm) and 5 ft. wide (150 cm). AGM award (2006).
- Eupatorium maculatum 'Riesenschirm' - statuesque presence with dark green foliage, huge flower heads in shades of grayish-pink and lovely dark purple stems. Up to 5 ft tall (150 cm) and 4 ft. wide (120 cm). AGM award (2006).