Proven to be a workhorse in the garden, award-winning Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii 'Goldsturm' is a highly popular choice. This perennial plant is long-lived and reliably produces masses of rich golden yellow, 3-4 in. flowers (7-10 cm) from midsummer through early fall, no matter what the weather is like. Each flower has many ray-like petals surrounding a dark brown cone in the center, providing fantastic warm color in the late summer garden.
- Its noteworthy qualities earned it the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society (1993) and the 1999 Perennial of the Year Award.
- Grows up to 2-3 ft. tall (60-90 cm) and 18-24 in. wide (45-60 cm). Often tends to form colonies in the wild.
- Thrives in full sun or partial shade in moderately fertile, moist, well-drained soils. Best flower production occurs in full sun, although this plant will tolerate some light shade.
- Spectacular when massed in drifts, this is an excellent choice for perennial borders, cottage gardens or for naturalizing meadows.
- Extremely easy to grow, Rudbeckia plays well with other hot colored perennials or with the cool blues and purples of geraniums and asters.
- Robust, low maintenance and highly disease resistant, it is also drought tolerant.
- Attractive to butterflies, it is deer and rabbit resistant.
- Remove spent flowers to promote further blooms and maintain a neat appearance.