A favorite of many gardeners - and deservedly so - Smooth Hydrangea 'Annabelle' (Hydrangea arborescens) is an outstanding flowering shrub. In early summer, this deciduous shrub produces huge, rounded flower clusters, up to 12 in. across (30 cm), that brighten shady areas and bring life to the garden. Blooming for up to two months, the blossoms open lime-green, mature to brilliant white, then back to pale green in late summer before switching to a tan shade in fall.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society and winner of the Gold Medal Award of The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society.
- Vigorous, this deciduous shrub typically grows 3-5 feet tall (90-150 cm) with a spread of 4-6 ft. (120-180 cm), and enjoys an excellent resistance to insects and disease.
- Smooth hydrangea can be grown in full sun or dappled shade (the hotter the climate, the more shade is needed) and is surprisingly drought tolerant. Best grown in average, medium, well-drained soils. Full sun is tolerated if constant moisture is provided.
- Perfect for the shrub or mixed border, wonderful planted as a flowering hedge, excellent backdrop for your favorite perennials.
- Since Smooth Hydrangea blooms on new wood, pruning has to happen late winter or early spring to encourage vigorous growth. The harder you prune (even to the ground), the larger the flowerheads will be.
- Can cause mild stomach upset if ingested and contact with foliage may aggravate skin allergies.