A favorite of many gardeners - and deservedly so - Smooth Hydrangea 'Annabelle' (Hydrangea arborescens) is a fabulous selection with its large, showy snow balls (up to 12 in. or 30 cm across) that brighten shady areas and bring life to the garden from midsummer to early fall. Blooming for weeks, 'Annabelle' offers a spectacular color show starting with lime-green pom-poms in midsummer, changing from cream to brilliant white for weeks, then back to pale green in late summer before switching to a tan shade in fall.
- Vigorous, this deciduous shrub typically grows 3-5 feet tall (90-150 cm) with a spread of 4-6 ft. (120-180 cm), and enjoys an excellent resistance to insects and disease.
- A part shade lover, this plant is best grown in average, medium, well-drained soils. Full sun is tolerated if constant moisture is provided. But it is drought intolerant!
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Mass in mixed shrub borders for dramatic summer blooms, in front of walls, fences, taller shrubs and trees.
- Since 'Annabelle' blooms on new wood, pruning has to happen late winter or early spring to encourage vigorous growth. The harder you prune (even to the ground), the larger the flowerheads will be.
- Can cause mild stomach upset if ingested and contact with foliage may aggravate skin allergies.