Among the most popular variegated hostas ever introduced, Hosta 'Patriot' (Plantain Lily) is a clump-forming perennial forming a divinely eye-catching mound of large, ovate-shaped, satiny, dark green leaves adorned with irregular ivory margins. Racemes of funnel-shaped, lavender-blue flowers appear in summer on scapes rising well above the foliage mound to 34 in. tall (85 cm). A moderate to fast grower, 'Patriot' adds great color to the shady borders and containers.
- Easy grower, 'Patriot' is a sport of Hosta 'Francee', which grows 20 in. tall (50 cm) and spreads 51 in. (127 cm).
- Named Hosta of the Year by the American Hosta Growers Association (1997), it also won the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society (2012). A real plant of Merit!
- A part shade to full shade lover, it is best grown in rich, moist, well-drained soils. Quite sun tolerant with adequate moisture, this plant is not fussy about soils and tolerates a wide range of conditions.
- Perfect for the shade gardens, mixed with other perennials, as groundcover, edging, underplanting shrubs or in containers.
- Watch for slugs and snails which could damage the attractive foliage.
- Cut off the stems after blooming to encourage the plant's growth. Discolored leaves should be trimmed back to the ground.