A beautiful dwarf Lupine, Lupinus 'Gallery White' (Lupine) is a popular selection featuring showy, erect spikes of densely packed, sweetly scented, pure white flowers in late spring - early summer. Rising on sturdy stems above bushy clumps of palmate, bright green leaves, the flowers open up from the bottom over several weeks, hence providing a long blooming period. 'Gallery White' can produce up to 10-12 flower spikes on each plant. Hummingbirds and butterflies are endlessly attracted to them - as are most onlookers!
- 'Gallery White' is a lovely member of the famous ‘Gallery Series’ hybrids developed from the species Lupinus polyphyllus, a North American native.
- Vigorously grows up to 15-18 in. tall (37-45 cm) and 12-14 in. wide (30-35 cm). Lupines are short-lived perennial plants but they will self-sow in optimum growing conditions.
- Ignored by deer and rabbits and excellent for naturalizing.
- Lupines perform best in full sun in organically rich, moderately fertile, evenly moist, well-drained soils. They thrive in areas with fairly cool summers and appreciate some afternoon shade in hot summer areas. Provide a sheltered location to protect your Lupines from winds and avoid staking. Apply mulch to keep the root zones cool.
- Lupines are welcomed additions to beds, borders, cottage gardens where they add color, height and structure. For best visual impact, plant your Lupines in groups. Great in containers or as cut flowers!
- Deadhead spent flower spikes to promote additional bloom and prevent undesired self-seeding. Provide good air circulation to avoid powdery mildew. Propagate by seed or cuttings in early spring
- One of the most striking perennials in the late spring garden, Lupines have long been cultivated by gardeners. With their elegant line, exquisite colors and fine-textured foliage, they create accents and punctuation and look their best when massed or interplanted with geraniums, catmint, and English roses. Developed by English George Russell, these Russel Hybrids present one of the longest and most spectacular floral parades at that time.
- All parts of the plant may cause severe discomfort if ingested.