Extremely drought tolerant, Feathertop Grass (Pennisetum villosum) is among the most beautiful and graceful ornamental grasses with its large, fluffy, bright white flower plumes cascading down the light green foliage that rustles in the wind. While a perennial grass, it is tender and often grown as an annual.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society (2002)
- This plant typically grows in 2 feet tall (60 cm) sprawling tussocks of narrow green foliage, topped with soft, furry, white bottlebrush-like flowers on arching stems from mid summer until fall.
- Welcomed in any garden style, it is versatile and can be used as a specimen plant, in groups or en masse. It is ideal in borders where it provides texture, color and contrast and can be planted in containers. Since it can grow in almost pure sand, planting it near the beach would be a possibility.
- Prized by florists as a cut flower!
- Performs best in full sun in average, well-drained soils.
- Self-seeder, it will multiply if you do not cut off the flowers before the seeds ripen in the fall. Cut back old foliage to the ground in late winter.