How not to marvel at the goblet-shaped, scarlet flowers of Tulipa Sprengeri (Sprenger Tulip) when thrown open and shining in the sunshine? Native to Turkey, this lovely tulip opens up in late spring or early summer from long, slender buff bronze buds, elegantly held above clumps of glossy bright green leaves. Among the last of the tulip species to flower, Tulipa Sprengeri, 2 in. long (5-6 cm), is heralded for its ability to seed and naturalize in a garden setting (among shrubs, in open borders and even in the grass), creating beautiful colonies over time.
- Awarded the prestigious Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Horticultural Society
- Grows up to 12-15 in tall (30-38 cm) and 4 in wide (10 cm).
- Easily grown in humus-rich, fertile, well-drained soils in full sun or part shade. Protect from excessive wet and shelter from strong winds.
- Stunning in beds, borders, edging or in containers. Also great in floral arrangements thanks to the quality of its fresh cut flowers.
- Perfect for cottage gardens or city gardens.
- Virtually pest and disease free
- Propagate by lifting and separating offsets
- All parts may cause severe discomfort if ingested