Valued as a wonderful spreader making colorful groundcovers with its dense, attractive leaf rosettes, Carpet Bugle (Ajuga reptans) is a quick mat-forming grower which will thrive in shady areas where grass won't grow. Rising from the center of the rosettes are whorls of tiny blue-violet, purple, pink or white flowers arranged on spikes which create a striking display when in full bloom, in mid-late spring or early summer.
- However, gardeners treasure more the showy foliage of Ajuga reptans and its carpet habit than its flowers. Ground-hugging, this evergreen perennial grows typically only 4-8 inches tall (10-20 cm) and remains attractive most of the year.
- A remarkably low-maintenance plant, this excellent performer is highly versatile and can be used in many situations: groundcover, on banks or slopes, under trees or shrubs. It is also great in containers!
- A part shade to full shade lover, Ajuga thrives in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils and tolerates almost any soils provided they are moist and humusy. Will tolerate full sun if constant moisture is provided
- Provide good air circulation to avoid crown root problems. This plant is rabbit or deer resistant!
- May be mowed after flowering in order to get rid of the spent flower spikes and clean up the planting.