Primarily grown for its dramatic foliage, award-winning Colocasia esculenta (Taro) is a tuberous, evergreen perennial with long-stalked, heart-shaped or arrow-shaped, soft velvety, rich-green leaves. Unlike the leaves of Alocasia which point skyward, the leaves of Colocasia droop and point toward the ground. Reminiscent of calla lily flowers, the blossoms consist of a yellowish-green spathe and spadix. They are not particularly showy and are infrequently produced. Adding an exotic touch to mixed perennial borders or containers, Colocasia esculenta is a hassle-free tropical that will add impact to your landscape. It is definitely worth a try.
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Grows up to 3-6 ft. tall and wide (90-180 cm)
- Performs best in filtered sun or part shade in organically rich, moist to wet soils. Provide a sheltered location to protect the decorative leaves from strong winds.
- Elephant Ears love water and nutrients. They require regular watering, particularly during dry summer periods. Provide regular fertilization during the growing season. The more you feed them, the larger they will grow. They can be planted in up to 6 in. (15 cm) standing water.
- Perfect as a specimen or in groups for beds and borders, near streams and ponds or in large containers.
- Generally disease free. Watch for glasshouse red spider mite, aphids and glasshouse whitefly.
- Native to tropical eastern Asia.