Boasting the largest flowers of all Witch hazels, Hamamelis x intermedia 'Aurora' is a vigorous, deciduous shrub with very fragrant, bright yellow flowers in late winter to early spring. Each flower consists of 4 ribbon-like, crinkled, strap-shaped petals delicately tinted bronze-red at their base. Clustered along the leafless branches, the flowers unfurl their spidery petals on mild days. But on cold days, they curl up again and nearly close up to prevent damage from freezing temperatures.
Hardy, this upright cultivar with gracefully ascending branches sports broadly oval green leaves which warm up to attractive shades of orange-yellow and red in fall.
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- This shrub enjoys a spreading habit and grows up to 10-12 ft. tall and wide (300-360 cm)
- A full sun to part shade lover, this plant is best grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Prefers organically rich, moist, acidic soils. Some tolerance for clay soils. Best flowering in full sun.
- Mass in mixed shrub borders for dramatic winter blooms. Great flowering shrub for woodland gardens or as screen and hedge. Perfect as specimen plant.
- Low maintenance, this plant is deer resistant and generally pest free. Watch for Coral spot and honey fungus
- Promptly remove any suckers to prevent spread.
- Prune in spring after flowering to control shape and size.
- Propagate by grafting