A member of the Gold Collection®, Helleborus niger 'HGC Josef Lemper' is a gorgeous Christmas Rose with large, single, pristine white flowers, adorned with a crown of showy golden-yellow stamens. As they mature, the blooms turn rose pink in cool weather, and pale green in warm temperatures. Unlike most hellebores, the flowers face outward attracting interest. They are borne on short, dark stems and rise above the evergreen foliage of leathery, dark green, serrated leaves. A very early bloomer, with blooms appearing as early as November, 'HGC Josef Lemper' flowers the first year. Perfect to brighten the shade garden!
- Grows in a bushy, upright clump, up to 16 in. tall and wide (40 cm).
- Performs best in part shade to full shade, in rich, humusy, moist, alkaline, well-drained soils. Lenten Roses are very tolerant and will grow well in most soils as long as the ground is not extremely dry or stagnantly waterlogged. Select a sheltered site to protect them from cold winter winds. Deer resistant!
- Easy to grow, this plant is a welcomed addition to shady borders, containers, under trees or large shrubs, woodland gardens or naturalized areas. Plant in groups for best visual impact. Lovely groundcover when massed
- Virtually disease and pest free, but watch for slugs and aphids.
- Remove faded flower stems (unless you require seed) to promote new growth and for a neat appearance.
- Ingestion may cause severe discomfort; skin irritant.