A highly popular variety of Morning Glory, award-winning Ipomoea tricolor 'Heavenly Blue' is a lovely annual vine with large, heart-shaped leaves and vibrant, azure-blue trumpet-shaped flowers. Opening in the morning to reveal their white and yellow throats, the flowers, 3-5 in. (8-13 cm), close in the afternoon, hence the common name. Morning Glory produces new flowers daily and blooms continuously from early summer to early fall. Prized for its quick growing climbing habits, it is perfect to hide an unforgiving fence, climb a wall or scramble through arbors and trellises. Give it room to grow and watch it head for the sky!
- Winner of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Fast growing, this annual vine will twine its soft stems up to 8-10 ft. tall in one season (240-300 cm) and 3-6 ft. wide (90-180 cm). Self-seeds easily and can become a weedy nuisance without being invasive
- Thrives in full sun in average, evenly moist, well-drained soils.
- Deer resistant but attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
- Morning Glory requires a support on which to climb such as pergolas, walls or fences. Great in containers, hanging baskets or as groundcover too! Perfect in cottage gardens or Mediterranean gardens.
- Propagate by seed: Start seeds indoors 4-6 weeks before the last spring frost, or outdoors after frost danger has passed. Before planting, nick the hard-coated seeds with a file or soak overnight in warm water.
- Virtually pest and disease free. No pruning required
- Native to Mexico and Central America.
- Ingestion may cause severe discomfort