Vine and Climber Plants - The Best Plants to Grow in Your Garden
Often grown over arbors, arches, or pergolas, vine or climber plants create terrific focal points with decorative flowers, foliage, or berries. Adding height to the landscape, they bring interest to dull walls or fences and contribute to magnificent backdrops for your beds and borders. Highly versatile, climbers may provide shade to a sunny patio, soften the lines of the landscape or hide any undesirable garden feature.
There are many types of vines and climbers, but some of the most popular include:
- Clematis: This climbing vine produces showy flowers in a variety of colors, ranging from white to deep purple.
- Wisteria: This woody climber produces beautiful cascades of fragrant purple, pink, or white flowers.
- Ivy: This fast-growing vine is a popular choice for creating natural privacy screens or covering unsightly walls.
- Climbing roses: These roses produce long, flexible canes that can be trained to climb up trellises or fences.
- Honeysuckle: This fragrant climber produces beautiful flowers in shades of pink, white, or yellow and attracts pollinators such as bees and butterflies.
- Trumpet vine: This fast-growing climber produces beautiful trumpet-shaped flowers in shades of red, orange, or yellow.
Each type of vine or climber has its own unique characteristics, such as growth habit, bloom time, and fragrance. Choosing the right type of vine or climber for your garden will depend on your specific needs and preferences.