Dahlia 'Jan Van Schaffelaar' is a perfectly formed Pompon Dahlia with magnificent, vibrant pink flowers set against the dark green foliage. The exquisitely shaped globular flowers, up to 2-3 in. wide (5-7 cm), resemble lollipops and are among the cutest dahlia flowers. Blooming massively from midsummer until frost, this dahlia grows up to 36 in. tall (90 cm) and is a charming accent in sunny beds and borders or bouquets.
- Best flowering occurs in full sun, but light shade will be welcomed in hot summer areas.
- Provide consistent moisture during the growing season and do not allow soils dry out. Plant in a sheltered location to protect your dahlias from strong winds.
- Best in groups of 5 for best visual effect. Deadhead spent flowers to promote growth of additional flower buds.
- If you live in a cool area (hardiness zones 3-7) and you want to save your dahlia bulbs, or more precisely, your dahlia tubers for next spring, you may dig them up before the first frost and store them over winter before replanting them next spring. Store them in boxes, covered with moistened sand in a cool, dark, frost-free place where temperature remains between 45-50 °F (7-10°C).
- This Dahlia is a member of the Pompon Dahlias which bear almost globular, full double blooms, which are less than 2 in. wide (5 cm). The ray florets are blunt or rounded at the tips, with margins spirally arranged and involute for at least 75% of the length of the florets. They make real eye-catchers!