Award-winning Iris 'Above The Clouds' is a vigorous and striking Tall Bearded Iris with heavily ruffled sky blue standards and broad falls contrasting with the delicate creamy-yellow beards. Rising 36 inches high (90 cm) atop a lovely blue-green sword-shaped foliage, this excellent performer withstands nicely inclement weather.
- Easy to grow, it is deer and rabbit resistant, and quite drought tolerant once established.
- Won the Honorable Mention Award in 2003 as an indication of its many fabulous qualities.
- A profuse bloomer, it produces 2 to 3 branches bearing up to 8-9 buds per stem and will bring its glorious and glamorous blooms in late spring or early summer over at 3 week period. Please note that bloom times depend very much on the weather.
- Performs best in full sun in humus rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils.Tolerates light shade but best flowering and disease resistance occur in full sun. Good soil drainage is essential to prevent rot issues.
- Grows from creeping rhizomes which store food produced by the sword-shaped, semi-evergreen leaves and form large clumps over time
- A welcomed addition to herbaceous borders, sunny courtyards or urban gardens where the sword-like foliage and vibrant color will combine harmoniously with the stones and angular hardscaping. Roses also provide a lovely backdrop to this tall variety.
- The best time to plant bearded irises is July through September. Container-grown iris can be planted in the spring.
- Ingestion may cause discomfort.
Bearded irises are classified by height and flower size into 6 groups. Since these groups bloom at slightly different time, combining specimens from different groups will extend your color display for a couple weeks.