Fast growing, Ajuga reptans 'Bronze Beauty' (Carpet Bugle) is a vigorous perennial prized for its rich blue flowers and contrasting bronze-tinged leaves, which quickly form a dense mat of attractive rosettes. Ajuga reptans is valued as a wonderful spreader making a colorful groundcover, which will thrive in shady areas where grass has difficulty growing. Evergreen in most regions, it is perfect for planting between stepping stones or in wall crevices.
- Gardeners treasure the showy foliage of Ajuga reptans and its carpet habit more than its flowers. Ground-hugging, this perennial plant grows up to 2-5 in. tall (5-12 cm) and 12 in. wide (30 cm), and remains attractive most of the year.
- A part shade to full shade lover, it thrives in average, medium, well-drained soils and tolerates almost any soils provided they are moist and humusy. Will tolerate full sun if constant moisture is provided.
- Provide good air circulation to avoid crown root problems. This plant is rabbit and deer resistant!
- A remarkably low-maintenance plant, this excellent performer is highly versatile and can be used in many situations: groundcovers, on banks or slopes, under trees or shrubs. It is also great in containers!
- Propagate by division, separating rooted stems.
- Generally pest free. Watch for powdery mildews
- May be mowed after flowering in order to get rid of the spent flower spikes and clean up the planting.