Prized for the shape and pretty color of its foliage, Senecio mandraliscae (Blue Chalk Stick) is a spreading succulent from South Africa with 3-4 in. long (7-10 cm), silvery blue, finger-like fleshy leaves and small white flowers in summer. Forming in quick fashion a dense blue mat with its upward curving leaves, this low-growing succulent is highly versatile and ideal as a border plant in the garden or as a trailing plant in containers and hanging baskets.
- Grows up to 12-18 in. tall (30-45 cm) and 2-3 ft. wide (60-90 cm).
- Easily grown in sandy, dry to medium moisture, well-drained soils in sun or light shade. Drought tolerant, Senecio can survive long, dry periods.
- Unlike many succulent plants, Senecio is a winter grower and summer-dormant.
- Excellent for rock gardens, succulent gardens or Mediterranean gardens. Perfect for containers where spectacular floral arrangements can be created.
- Deer and rabbit resistant, fire resistant
- Cut back in late summer
- Easily propagated from cuttings and can also be grown from seed.