Foxtail Lily 'Cleopatra' (Eremurus x isabellinus) is a breathtaking beauty with glowing tangerine flower clusters rising high on imposing stalks, adding drama and spectacular vertical lines in the garden. Soaring from a rosette of strap-shaped green leaves from early to mid summer, each graceful flower spike is richly covered with hundreds of tiny apricot blossoms which open from the bottom upwards for a long-lasting display. Since the foliage withers back during the flowering period, plant your Eremurus among ground covers, late-flowering perennials or tall grasses that will hide the short-lived foliage and provide added attractiveness.
- A fast grower towering up to 4-5 ft. above the ground (120-150 cm) with a spread of 18-24 in. (45-60 cm), this plant thrives in full sun, in rich and well-drained soils. Easy to grow, Foxtail Lilies are not fussy about soil conditions as long as there is good drainage. They naturalize well and will come back year after year.
- Foxtail Lilies are drought tolerant, deer and critter resistant, virtually pest and disease free. Watch for root rot in poorly drained clay soils.
- Stunning in front of a dark background, at the back of the border, in prairie plantings or as cut flowers! Plant in groups of 5 minimum for best visual impact. Excellent cut flowers!
- Attracts the energy of butterflies and hummingbirds!
- Plant in early fall (in mild climates) or in spring (cold climates) in a sheltered location to protect your Eremurus from strong winds. Although the tubers are winter hardy, a mulch layer is highly recommended.
- Top of the crown should only be covered with 2 in. (5 cm) of soil. Allow space around each plant as it likes the sun to warm its tubers. Provide consistent moisture during the growing season and do not allow soils dry out. After flowering, you may reduce watering.