Adding striking colors to the garden in early or mid summer, Tanacetum coccineum, commonly called Painted Daisy or Pyrethrum, is a fabulous perennial. Why? It produces masses of very showy, 3 in. wide (7 cm) daisies with a large central golden disc, elegantly contrasting with the white, red, purple or pink rays. They last over a very long season to the delight of butterflies but also repel insects, helping to keep your garden pest free! They rise above a strongly-aromatic foliage mound of soft, finely-divided, fern-like bright green leaves which remains attractive after blooming is over. Finally, Painted Daisies have always been popular as cut flowers thanks to their sturdy, straight stems that prolong their blooms' life in a vase.
- Painted Daisies grow in upright, bushy rounded clumps up to 18-30 in. tall (45-75 cm) and 18-24 in. wide (45-60 cm)
- Full sun to part shade lovers, Painted Daisies enjoy average, medium moisture, well-drained soils. They prefer sandy soil in full sun although it is worth trying in any well-drained soil. Avoid wet, heavy soils. Drought tolerant!
- Painted Daisies are highly versatile and are ideal additions to beds, borders, containers, rock gardens, cottage gardens or herb gardens. Plant in groups for best visual impact or for your bouquets! Excellent as fresh cut flowers or in dried arrangements too!
- Virtually pest and disease free. However, watch for aphids, leaf miners, nematodes. Famous for its insect repelling properties, Painted Daisies attract butterflies and are deer resistant.
- Cut back plant stems after flowering to promote additional bloom. Plants may be trimmed hard after blooming to rejuvenate the foliage. Propagate by seed or division. Easily divided in spring or fall.
- Main Tanacetum coccineum varieties are:
'Brenda' with showy magenta pink blooms and yellow centers. 24 in. tall (60 cm)
'Eileen May Robinson' with pale pink blooms and yellow centers. 24-30 in. tall (60-75 cm)
'Mrs. James Kelway' with creamy blooms turning pale pink as they age. 24 in. tall (60 cm)
'Mont Blanc' with pure white, yellow-centered blooms. 24 in. tall (60 cm)
'Robinson's Crimson' with bright scarlet red blooms and yellow centers. 18 in. tall (45 cm)
- Contact may irritate the skin