Two-time award-winner, Tulip 'Red Shine' belongs to the remarkably graceful and elegant Lily-flowered Tulips group and exhibits long lasting, radiant, bright red goblet-shaped flowers with pointed, reflexed petals. Blooming in the late spring garden, this tulip provides an elegant and graceful display when swaying in the spring breeze!
- Growing up to 22 inches tall (55 cm), plant this beauty in a wind-protected location where it will create dazzling harmonies with other late season flowering bulbs.
- Awarded the prestigious Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Horticultural Society
- Performs best in full sun in rich, fertile, medium moisture, well-drained soils. Prefers areas with cool winters and warm dry summers.
- Easy to grow, this tulip is a welcomed addition to beds, borders, containers. For best visual impact, plant in groups (at least 10 to 15 bulbs) or mixed with any other flowering bulbs. Excellent as cut flowers!
- To be planted in fall.
- Eating may cause severe discomfort and may cause a skin allergy.
A symbol of spring, tulips are the most popular spring bulbs and most gardeners reserve them a spot in the garden or in containers. Grown for their attractive, vibrantly colored flowers, there are currently over 3,000 registered varieties, which are divided into fifteen groups, mostly based on the flower type, size and blooming period of the tulip.
What makes Lily-Flowered Tulips different from other varieties are their slender flowers with often pointed, recurving petals. The flower stems are thin and not very sturdy, making them susceptible to wind damage. Most bloom in late spring, a few in mid spring. Some make good cut flowers, others are fragrant. But all are incredibly beautiful and should be considered in your seasonal plantings. They typically grow up to 16-24 in. tall (40-60 cm).